Monday, October 11, 2010

Camping

On Labor day weekend we took one last hurrah up to North Fork with the C-clan (minus Laurie and Jared) for a camping adventure.


We got a camp-side visit from two large moose, made smores with marshamallows roasted by Mike, let the kids collect pieces of glass from the dirt (you know "jewels"), got to listen to Reid tell Treasure Island and discussed books. We tried to think of a really good plot for a bestseller, so I can write it, become fabulously wealthy, hand out cash to my relatives and then retire to my privately owned island. I can't believe we can't think of the next Twilight. Actually, I think I would prefer if we could think of the next Harry Potter.  I'm sure we will, we just need to go camping more often.

The next morning I woke to Ellie fussing and loud thrashing in the underbrush. While I fed Ellie I tried to decide how I would defend myself in case of a moose attack. What kind of flimsy protection is a tent zipper against maurading moose? After I finished feeding Ellie, I wanted to slip back into my sleeping bag, but I needed the facilities.I tried to overcome my fear of moose-trompling and I carefully unzipped the tent and tried to sneak past the moose to the bathrooms. Just as I reached the road, one of the moose charged off into the trees, while the other caught my eye to stare me into submission. I did not pee my pants, but I ended up knocking frantically on Reid and Shirley's new RV door. I think an RV is worth it for the small toilet alone.

"The girls slept well!" exclaimed an enthusiastic Mike the next morning.

"Why yes they did. Especially when they were in my sleeping bag," I replied. 

After a fabulous eggs in a bag breakfast, we walked down to the river and let the kids throw rocks. Ahh camping, I wish we would have gone more this summer.

My good camera was getting a flash modification and our batteries died, so that's all I got folks.

2 comments:

Tori said...

What a fun moose story! Camping in Utah is just amazing.

Sherrie said...

Someone always joins me in my sleeping bag too, and they usually pee on me.

I love camping.