Really all I want is a haircut that
1. Looks good tucked behind my ears
2. Is short so it's off my neck in the summer
3. Still works into a sassy cute ponytail (minus those stupid bobby pins) for running (and other events that are ponytail friendly, like life)
4. Is wash and go and looks good after just a blow dry. You know, just in case I don't wake up until the girls do, and have to take a shower, get dressed and "do" my hair all while they whine and cling to my legs.
5. Makes me look feminine, so that when I choose not to wear make-up (lately every day but Sunday) people do not mistake me for some strange androgynous person.
That's it. I don't know why this seems impossible. Seriously, I'm not asking much.
Yesterday, when I went for my twice yearly haircut, Mike said to me, almost pleadingly, "You have a haircut? How short are you going to go?"
Mike pretends that he likes my hair at whatever length I cut it, but it's comments like these that reveal his true desire for long, silken tresses.
When we met I had short hair, and I have generally speaking always had short hair, but last summer I grew it out for Locks for Love. It was long-- and that was about its only attribute. Mike loved it. It seriously just hung on my head, looking, well, dead. I always pulled it back in a ponytail. I have never mastered the cute ponytail either, so that didn't even look good.
The one time it looked good was when Shaelynn (my sister) did it for Alisha's (my other sister's) wedding. That required a can of hairspray, two curling irons and a half an hour. Do you know what I can accomplish in half an hour? Hair is not one of the things I think about when given a half hour of free time.
Sometimes I think about growing my hair out long again, just to please Mike, because I like him, a lot :) But it's summer time right now and we still have children and my curling iron is broken.