Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Some people think it's funny, but it's snot

Hannah has been experiencing Niagra falls through her poor little nose these last few days. I will spare you an actual picture, but I'm sure your imagination can do the trick.
This is the first time in her life she has been sick. Poor girl. Since it's been awhile since I've had a sick baby, I pulled out my biblical-sized "What To Expect the First Year" book and looked up helpful remedies and suggestions for what to do.
Here is a picture from my book. The blindly optimistic text underneath it reads, "For a baby who's having trouble breathing through a stuffy nose, saline drops to soften the mucus and aspiration to suction it out will bring welcome relief."
I like this book. I think it is very helpful, and I like the idea of bringing "welcome relief" to my child, so I decided to try aspirating Hannah's nose.
If I were drawing pictures for this book the baby would be flailing, bright red and screaming, while a bulb-sucky-thing (that's what we call them around here) is accidentally jabbing her cheek or even an eye.
The book failed to mention that suctioning a baby's nose causes them to cry even harder, producing more snot than you managed to suck out, if you managed to find her nose, so it's pretty much futile. I don't remember Kenzie hating it so much. Wait, maybe I've just suppressed those memories.
Poor Hannah.

4 comments:

ROBYN -N- KEVIN said...

I love you guys! You blogs are too funny! Hope Hannah gets better soon! My friend Katie has 3 girls who are ALL sick with the flu at the moment... I don't look forward to that stuff at all.

Hollyween said...

This is so funny, Steph...
And the picture says it all. I mean, what baby just sits there and lets you suck out their snot? Not mine. That's for dang sure. I can relate because Faith screams too. I feel for your pain.

Em Russ said...

ha ha!! My twins are sick too and I haven't even pulled the snot sucker out because they hate it so much. I can't wait until they learn how to blow!!

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

My kids prefer my sleeve, pants, or shoulder to the snot sucker.