Sometimes my brain leaves me. Only for short periods, but nevertheless, it likes to take a vacation now and then. (I guess I'm not giving it enough time off in between my intellectual pursuits, such as games of 'Memory' and re-readings of Bernstein Bears)
This weekend I planned a camping trip for my brother and sisters, and it was one of those weekends where my brain decided it wanted nothing to do with me and my plans.
Yes, brain, I would like to congratulate you on almost foiling our plans. I say 'almost', because despite the fact that I did not make a reservation (this is where brain deserted me. No one takes camping trips on the weekend up Logan canyon, do they?), and I did not have a pre-planned meeting spot (another brain desertion-Surely they have cell phone reception up a steep canyon with high mountain walls.), we managed to find a spot, find each other and have a marvelous time.
The children behaved like adorable little kittens. Hahaha. They behaved like themselves and I lost all my patience yet again. However, I'm going to remember the highlights:
1. It was fun to see everyone: Jared and his girlfriend Pam (hmmmm, or are they secretly married???), cute pregnant Alisha and Dustin (who decided to go on a diet right before we broke out the Smores, poor guy), Shaelynn, who found her own way, and my mom, who mostly sat in a chair and tried to fall in the fire a few times (due to a pulled hamstring).
2.The girls went to bed without a peep. In fact, Kenzie demanded to be put to bed, even forgoing a Smore. To whom does this child belong?
3. Hannah loved tossing things in the river (and I only had small heart palpitations when she kept leaning, leaning, leaning over the bridge to see where they went). Kenzers also loved tossing sticks in on one side of the bridge and racing to the other side to see them. That was definitely my favorite.
4. After Direct Sunlight Smores I finally got a real Smore and it was a doozy. My marshmallow was perfect and peanut butter cups are now my favorite Smore accessory.
5. 6:00 a.m. is a great time to wake up. Really. I promise. I love it. So does Hannah.
6. We got to have yet another, "Dark Knight" conversation. Since we watched it on Wed, it has been one of our favorite topics of discussion. Too dark? Well-acted? Is Two-Face alive? Why did they pin it on Batman? Did it push Heath Ledger over the edge? Did you like laughing at the non-funny funny parts?
7. I really love it when everyone's pants are as dirty as mine. (Well, almost as dirty)
8. Jared and I were kind of brave and jumped (jumped=walked out gingerly bitterly complaining about the cold) into the First Dam. It was Dam cold. (Sorry I couldn't resist) Kenzie was the bravest and she finally got to "put her whole body in," an experience she has been waiting for since we hiked up Waterfall canyon.
9. No bears attacked us, we got to sit around a fire, and when the cars weren't speeding by, I could hear the river. I love the sound of water. I guess camping is okay.