Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hannah and the cookies

For Kenzie's birthday I made some "Kiss" drop cookies. And they turned out pretty yummy. (I lost a point for eating desserts that day). We didn't eat the cookies at the tea party so I left them on the cooling rack on the table.

Nothing is safe at our house. I sat down for a breather (yeah I was probably checking my blog to see if I had any new comments; no, I didn't), and when I turned around Hannah had managed to eat all of the Hershey Kisses out of the cookies. I'm glad she's turned away from the vaseline habits she was forming and found something infinitely more delicious and fattening. (I guess vaseline could be fattening. Who knows?)


Why does she get to live my dream life? I've always wanted to take those cookies and eat the middles out of them. It rates right up there with my fantasy of driving down the highway hitting all the orange barrels. Although with this recipe, I'm more likely to eat the cookie too. (She is crying because I caught her and yelled at her while taking her picture, not because she wishes I had put Vaseline in the middle of the cookies.)

Here's the recipe, with the parts I ignored bolded:
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
2/3 c. sugar
1 egg, separated
2 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
26 Hershey's kisses

Beat butter, sugar egg yolk, milk and vanilla in medium bowl until fluffy. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; graudally add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
2. Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. With fork beat egg white slightly. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in nuts. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Press thumb gently in center of each cookie.
3. Bake cookies 10-12 minutes or until set. Mean while prepare Vanilla Filling (recipe below). Remove wrappers from chocolate pieces. Remove cookies from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool 5 minutes. Spoon about 1/3 tsp. prepared filling into each thumbprint. Gently press chocolate pice onto top of each cookie. Cool completely.

Vanilla Filling
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
2 tsp. milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

I'm not saying I recommend that you ignore what I did, I'm just saying it worked out. And they tasted good.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Haha! I would have done the same thing!

ROBYN -N- KEVIN said...

We didn't do well with points... at all. Mark us down for 10. We may as well drop out now.

Marcie said...

Hanna, I can't say I blame you, they look Yummy. I think we will try making them for family night. I love the "Fancy Nancy party." Happy birthday Kenzy. And I hope you have a great time in Nebraska. Congratulations to Jared, Pam looks like a darling girl.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you mighe be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel

Mike said...

Hi baby! Like mother like daughter I guess! I wish I could have seen that, what a funny girl Hannah is. I love you!