Sunday, August 23, 2009

And the winner for Miss Congeniality. . .


Hannah. She's the winner.

The grace she displays while throwing tantrums is absolutely astounding. And the frequency? A+++. If you need drama, she will provide it. Her princess dress slips off her shoulders? She'll scream. A fly dares to buzz near her head? Wailing and Gnashing of teeth. She hears the word 'No?' Nuclear melt-down. Someone is playing with a toy she wants? Scratching and hitting ensue. Ask her if she wants some help putting on a shirt? NO! SHE CAN DO IT HERSELF! yelled at top lung capacity.

It's absolutely charming.

I keep telling myself that I must be firm. I cannot respond to yelling and screaming and crying. I will ignore her until she uses a nice voice. I say, repeatedly, "Oh, use a nice voice. What do we say when we want something? 'Please.' Don't forget to say 'please,' Hannah. You may not yell. Either you can sit in timeout or you can help cleanup. Use a nice voice. The answer is still no. Hannah we don't scratch. If you won't sit in timeout I will hold you here and you won't like it. No Hannah. What do you do when you want something? Hannah say please. Hannah stop yelling."

But sometimes at the end of the day, or even sometimes early in a bad morning, I say, "Fine Hannah. Whatever you want. Just for the love of everything holy STOP CRYING." And then I put myself in timeout while she bangs on the bedroom door crying.

I'm trying to remember; I think this is a stage they go through, right? Kenzie went through this, didn't she? It's pretty much the end of the world about every 5 minutes around here lately and my stash of coping chocolate is dwindling.

6 comments:

Emily Widdison said...

Please figure this all out before Ruby becomes of tantrum age. Please. I will start building up my chocolate supply now...sounds like I will need a lot.
Good think she is a doll!

Kristina P. said...

I had tantrums until I was 16. But I'm sure they will pass for Hannah soon.

Stacie Marietti White said...

I love that you have coping chocolate. They sure look cute in your pictures!! I think that you need to write a book, and preferably before I have any kids. You really are so talented Stephanie.

Hollie said...

I think Hannah and Addi are secretly conspiring against us. They're trying to see which of us will crack first. They are obiviously sharing tactics. At least, that's my theory.

Cris Pebley said...

I am glad to see that my house isn't the only one with tantrumming children. Along with some fits I also have added rudeness from Caleb. That one needs to be stopped immediately. Any ideas?

Rachel Sue said...

I'm sorry. I wish I had some sage advice to give you. Sadly, I haven't figured my daughter out yet. So there isn't much hope for helping yours!

THanks again for the diapers. That was awesome!